MORE TIPS FOR HOME SAFETY
To help reduce the risk of injury, keep these additional safety tips in mind:
- Use a safe footstool to reach up to a higher shelf, or ask for help if the risk is too high (e.g. changing a bulb or getting something from a very high shelf).
- Take a step back when reaching for or placing items on higher shelves.
- Have easily accessible cordless phones at floor level on each floor of the house.
- Consider a way of notifying someone in case of a fall – medical alert, smartphone, daily call-in with local police, family member, or neighbour, etc.
- Carry items so that you can always see ahead, especially as you go down steps.
- Wear comfortable but safe clothing – secure shoes with non-slippery soles, and no long sleeves that could catch on fire while you’re cooking.
- Have nightlights installed that are motion-sensitive.
- Be aware of safe bending techniques. To pick something up from the floor, you will need to bend your knees, keeping your back straight. Hold items you are lifting close to you.